1931 baguette "miss liberty"

Submitted by gibblerish28 on July 26, 2014 - 1:46am

Hi, i have a lady bulova watch that was given to me by my great grandmother. I did alot of research on it and saw that it had a shield on the inside that basically says what year its from. 1931. I have a couple questions. The wrist chain has a "pat pend" in graved in the clips.and then under neth that it says "maxim". Does anyone know what maxim has to do with the watch? What is maxim? Also , does anyone know what the value of this perticular watch is??

Geoff Baker
Posted July 26, 2014 - 5:54am

Hello gibblerish, welcome to myBulova. Value first - we cannot give estimates of value on watches. There are so may factors that go into the value of an heirloom like yours that it really isn't possible to determine it without a thorough inspection. On-line auction sites can give an indication but it really is difficult to establish worth using them as a guideline as well. On the other hand, given that it's a family treasure from your great grandmother I would say it's priceless, I think you are very fortunate to have it!

In terms of the bracelet, Maxim is the brand of the bracelet. There were several manufacturers that made the style bracelet your watch uses, Maxim is one of them.

If you're going to use the watch, we always recommend that you have it professionally serviced. Depending on where you live, the cost of service will vary but having it done regularly will insure that it works for future generations as well.

gibblerish28
Posted July 26, 2014 - 11:41am

Yeah, i understand. I meant to post a pic of it but i cant figure out how to do it on this perticular sight. I tried looking for anything that remotely is similar and had no luck. Do you know anything about maxim other then they were jewlery makers? The bulova i have is very much priceless. Thos was worn by my great grandmother that was once one of the first operaters of the phone line at&t. I even have pictures of her working on the job. Pretty emazing i would say. She had to wear hat and gloves to work everyday.