1931. what model is this?

Submitted by woody on October 19, 2011 - 12:42am

here is a picture of two watches available to me to buy from a friend. they need cleaning but run great.

the Bulova is stamped with the 1931 pointed shield on the movement.I dont know what model it is. 

I regret I dont have pics of the movement. Sorta took a quick photo with my phone.

any info and advice on this model would be great. I'll probably spend  like $50 each  on the deal.

This friend is an old Asian watch repairer. he has a huge box full of vintage Bulovas he's been hoarding for years that I'm itching to go through!!

p.s. any advice on the Rado purple horse would be appreciated aswell.

View pictures here

thanx!!  

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted October 19, 2011 - 2:47am

uuum OK, anybody? Wayne?

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted October 19, 2011 - 3:00am

lol!

woody
Posted October 19, 2011 - 12:03pm

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/barber12374/

ok gents. rookie mistakes here. first off my camera is too high res to fit the pics as downloads. lets see if this is a good alternative.

step two is next time I'm over there at my friends I'll set my phone camera to lower resolution.

please be gentle ,I'm new. but love Bulovas!

thanx again

woody
Posted October 19, 2011 - 12:05pm

p.s. it looks like thats gonna be a tiny worthless pic for ya.

I'll get the better ones on here soon.

shooter144
Posted October 19, 2011 - 12:53pm

In reply to by woody

Nope, clicked on it and zoom lol someone knows what this is, Fifth Ave prolly does....

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted October 19, 2011 - 12:55pm

Woody,

The Case on the right We have seen before but are unable to identify at this time.

The Watch appears in the right column of a database ad dated 1930. - 'Reliability Plus Durability'

Welcome to the show.

shooter144
Posted October 19, 2011 - 12:55pm

Told ya Fifth would have it lol

shooter144
Posted October 19, 2011 - 12:57pm

In reply to by shooter144

I notice the ad says "Bulova Movement"  for this one...wonder if this is a store bought non Bulova cased movement...would explain a whole lot.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted October 19, 2011 - 1:41pm

They're stamped I believe. - 3rd We've seen so far....

woody
Posted October 19, 2011 - 11:15pm

you guys are pro's!

thanx

mybulova_admin
Posted October 20, 2011 - 1:26am

Here's a better image. Case match for the second from bottom on right. Variant dial.

vintagebulova.com
Posted October 20, 2011 - 2:14am

Something doesn't look right about this dial.  Check out the hour track.  It appears curved on the sides and does not follow the case.

Jay

vintagebulova.com

Geoff Baker
Posted October 20, 2011 - 6:23am

Jay - is it possible it's the dome of the crystal distorting it? Or is this a Trident dial? My guess is the latter, those numerals are quite distinctive in Bulovaland.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted October 20, 2011 - 7:12am

I agree Geoff, check out the sub Dial it mimics the Minutes track.

mybulova_admin
Posted October 20, 2011 - 7:13am

I would tend agree with both Geoff and Jay...a dial/movement swap or just a dial swap. Cancel my last comment about a variant dial. The more I look at it the more I think the dial in not original.

Case is a perfect match though...not that it helps. We still are no closer to IDing the case.

woody
Posted October 20, 2011 - 12:20pm

I like the case and band style. most watches from that era are too dainty for my wrist. I like the boldness of this watch.

should not having the original dial affect my decision to buy it?

I like it ,I guess thats all that matters in the end.

besides it seems to have an air of mystery to it(like James Bond) ok maybe thats a little over the top .lol

Wayne Hanley
Posted October 20, 2011 - 5:34pm

Just because Bulova chose to advertise the radium dials is not a good reason IMO not to authenticate 1929-1931 Bulova watches with varient Bulova dials. I don't think some evil watchmaker dreamed up the dial on the unknown watch above. I take it at dial face value, and I believe that Bulova made the dial. Some are even hand painted. It makes more sense to accept these dials as authentic as the cases that house them. There are several watches in the database that will never get a 3 star rating because of this fact. I'm sure that some people were smart enough in these early years to have information on radium danger & avoided such when purchasing watches. My opinion. Our Loss!

mybulova_admin
Posted October 20, 2011 - 8:12pm

For me I'm happy for the ID to be primarily based on the case. As Wayne says the variety in dials shouldn't always a show stopper for an identification.

Wayne Hanley
Posted October 21, 2011 - 3:49pm

Woody,

I named my watch just like the ad says "Reliability Plus Durability" ZF9408 just for grins. Call yours "Reliability Plus Durability" ZF9408 w/Varient Dial. You movement is probably a 15 jewel 10AN, easy enough to verify yourself.