1939 Major model ?

Submitted by el tel on November 10, 2013 - 5:05am

The watch below has been tentatively identified on another website as a ' Major ' . The movement is an 8AE, 17 jewels and has a date code for 1939. The case is 10k gold filled and numbered 9126038. The strap looks as if it might be an original. Would be very interested in the opinions of the experts on this site. thanks

terry

OldTicker
Posted November 10, 2013 - 6:18pm

Interesting looking watch, are those lugs that the band attaches to and do they swivel?, or are they part of the band?

I scanned the ads in both the decade & database and can find no mention of the "Major".

It looks smaller than the "normal" watches of the era Terry, is the case back stainless, or hinged, or GF.?

JP
Posted November 10, 2013 - 7:46pm

unknown. need side shots and case back shots to help.

mybulova_admin
Posted November 11, 2013 - 3:22am

It may very well be what other sites name it. I've gone through what I have and what this site contains but cannot find any reference to a model called the Major. That certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist, far from it. It simply means that we have yet to come across any reference, advert, crystal package or price list that makes reference to this model.  Perhaps other sites have found such a reference.

MyBulova.com has a very detailed model list (approx 668 models, not including variants) but I would say that we are still off having a complete model list for all Bulova watches made prior to 1980.

Check what reference the other sites use as their model reference. If you're convinced, then it's a Major. If so please feel free to share that knowledge for others to learn from.

Whatever it is, it's a first for myBulova...I think.

el tel
Posted November 11, 2013 - 5:55am

The lugs are fixed and appear to be part of the watch. The back is gold filled and not hinged. According to another website the name of 'Major' is mentioned in G-S catalog number 43 .

terry

Geoff Baker
Posted November 12, 2013 - 6:01am

Terry - can you add this to the watch data base please? I'd like to see this one in the permanent listings.

thanks!