1952 Bulova President - Restore or not?

Submitted by fletchs_65 on November 17, 2011 - 11:08am

Hey all,

I am new here and have only 1 Bulova. It is a 1952 President in white gold in rough condition. It has no hands and no crystal. But it does run, I can here it tick when I wind it. Obviously needs to serviced good. Also, the dial needs to be restored or replaced. The case looks pretty good though I think I can just clean that. The movement is a 21J 10BM and looks really nice. My Dad got it when he graduated HS so the sentimental value is high. My question is, is the watch worth restoring from a practicle viewpoint? I will probably do anyway, I am just curious. Also, about how much should a restoration like these cost?  Thanks for all any advice. I will try to get a pic posted of it soon.

Geoff Baker
Posted November 17, 2011 - 12:39pm

I would pay $500 to have my dad's HS graduation watch restored, if only I could......for that type of heirloom there can't be a hesitation. The watch is iconic anyway so I say go for it. Any one of several of our members would be proud to assist you in that restoration project assuming you can afford it, as they are Bulova lovers second to being businessmen first. A couple advertise on the home page here. Others might be willing to give you an estimate.

Welcome to myBulova! Glad you found us.

Bob Bruno
Posted November 17, 2011 - 1:13pm

Hello and welcome. I spent about 450.00 dollars on my uncle's 45 Cadet. The watch is only worth about 150.00 Dollars. To me it's priceless and would never consider selling it.

Bob

fletchs_65
Posted November 17, 2011 - 1:19pm

In reply to by Bob Bruno

That turned out beautiful. I can't believe it is only worth 150. But then I am really just learning about watches. I have fallen in love with the deco styling of the 40s and early 50s. Now my wife is scared I am going to get ANOTHER expensive habit. So I just hope I can tell her that it is an investment, thats all. Either that or I willl have to squirrell away cash for a couple months and then get it done.

mybulova_admin
Posted November 17, 2011 - 5:20pm

In reply to by fletchs_65

Plains..you wanna chime in here and give the VBWCA speech (Vintage Bulova Watch Collectors Anonymous)

I feel another member of the public may fall off the wagon!!

:-)

Welcome aboard!

plainsmen
Posted November 17, 2011 - 5:25pm

Well my friend it's like this... you start out with your dads/grandpas/uncles Bulova.... just to see what it would cost to fix up.  Maybe see what you should insure it for.

Then you see some other shiny watch that catches your eye.... so now you have two sweet old bulova watches...  wait.. whats that at the flea market?!

Uhh pretty soon your on the smack... selling stuff on ebay to get money to buy just one..... more..... bulova.... then you promise yourself you'll quit after this last one....

Then something shiny catches your eye.... =)

Bob Bruno
Posted November 17, 2011 - 1:27pm

Start squirrlin away bro. Sounds like your on your way to becoming a bullaholic like the rest of us. :)

Wayne Hanley
Posted November 17, 2011 - 2:00pm

It would be nice to see pictures of the watch! However, it should be restored as an heirloom since you know the provenance of the watch it should be priceless to you. I think it would be great to imagine in years to come that you had the presence of mind to preserve & pass something on down your line. What a way to be remembered.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted November 17, 2011 - 2:03pm

I would agree, sentimental value far outweighs practicality. We have sent a quote for a full restoration.

mybulova_admin
Posted November 17, 2011 - 5:21pm

Look forward to seeing the before and after photos!!!

shooter144
Posted November 17, 2011 - 8:22pm

And dont forget that the President is a top line model Bulova as well, costing the equivalent of $600-$800 in todays dollars...so a few hundred for a full restoration is a good investment, especially for your Dads watch.

simpletreasures
Posted November 17, 2011 - 8:57pm

You guys could sell ICE to a Eskimo!

;-p

fletchs_65
Posted November 17, 2011 - 10:49pm

OK, after seeing some of the other restorations on here and around the web, I new hope for my Dad's old watch. So here is a before pic. It looks like really worn gold but that is a reflection off my walls I quess. It really is white gold.

plainsmen
Posted November 17, 2011 - 10:53pm

Hey guy... that's not really in that bad of shape.  Case looks good from the front.  A crystal will cost you $20 bucks... hands.. $20.. redial... $30...  cleaning the movement if nothings wrong....$50 if you go through timemachines...

I use him and I'd trust him with my dad's watch... the redial is the only thing he'd have to send out.  PM timemachines for a quote as well before making your decision.  He's  a pro and does nothing but watches all day.

OldTicker
Posted November 18, 2011 - 10:50pm

Plainsman is right, check around with the many professionals here, If the case is good and not in need of replating, and the movement is repairable with minor parts replacement, The hands, crystal, Labor and dial refinish are your most costly items.

When it is done it should look something like this with the 2-tone dial colors reversed and a rare White Gold case!

Wayne Hanley
Posted November 19, 2011 - 2:53am

In reply to by OldTicker

Old Ticker

Your President is a beauty! Nice work! That one should keep the OT gene pool going!