1965 Bulova Watch ~ Beau Brummell ~ Another question ?

Submitted by Susy on April 9, 2012 - 8:53pm

First of all ~ what a wonderful forum this is!  I was so surprised to get so many kind and informative answers and messages in answer to my original question asking for help with identifying my watch.  I truly do appreciate it!

I now have another question ~ I hope this is the right place to ask!

We went up to my parents for Easter weekend and I was so excited to tell my mother that I had finally figured out what Grandpa's watch was called.  She asked which one and when I told her, she said "that wasn't Pop's watch, I think I found that at a garage sale"!!!  Mother is 85 and not that I'm saying she doesn't remember things but I took her in to their computer and showed her the pictures on here just in case she didn't know which watch I was talking about ~ when she saw it, she said no, it wasn't his.  With the fancy diamonds on it, I never could quite picture Grandpa wearing it but I wasn't sure.

Daddy (91) has his watch that is his old reliable and my husband doesn't wear a watch and since it wasn't Grandpa's, there is no family attachment  to it ~ my question now is ~ what do I do with it?

If I am thinking of selling it, should I spend the money to have it cleaned and have the crystal replaced or should I try to sell it as is ~ or is it worth bothering with? 

Again, I know NOTHING about watches!!!  "Antiques and collectibles" I know a little about ~ my grandparents (Grandpa was born in Jackson Hole, Wyoming in 1906) had a life-long-love of collecting antiques and kept everything ~ Mother and Daddy inherited it all and collected things themselves and still have everything!  I grew up with appreciating "old things" and the value of their history being as important as the item itself.  So, when it comes to something like this "new" watch, I am at a total loss.

I have sold some items on eBay but they have been things I list for my parents ~ I'm helping them clean out their closets, downsize and to help them make a little money ~ but they tend to be antiques ~ cylinder records, mustache cups, glass negatives, old beer steins, old photographs, things like that ~ things that I know about and grew up with so I know the answers to any questions about them!

Is that what I should do with this watch ~ put it on eBay?

Again, I hope that I am not posting this where I shouldn't be or asking questions that are out of line ~ I apologize if I have done anything wrong!

In advance, thank you all so very much for any information or advice that you can give me in regards as to ~ what should I do with it now???

And also ~ I tend to yammer on ~ Grandma had a saying about someone like me ~ vaccinated with a phonograph needle!!!

Thank you everyone!!!

Susy

OldTicker
Posted April 9, 2012 - 9:42pm

Check your mybulova e-mail Susy...I am sure the offers are coming in, so check them out and you will probably have your answer.

Greg

JP
Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:40pm

If you decide to keep the watch I have a crystal for it. You can PM me for information.

JP