1974 US Olympic Invitational Track and Field Bulova Oceanographer

Submitted by phels29 on November 6, 2011 - 11:09am

My Father won this after placing second place in the long jump event at the Invitational. The watch is an auntomatic and still runs after sitting in it's box for 30 years. My question is how difficult would it be to get the crystal replaced and the watched tuned so this watch could be worn on a semi-regular basis.  Also any info about this watch would be appreciated.

Bob Bruno
Posted November 6, 2011 - 11:16am

The watch may have been presented to your father in 74 but the manufacture date is 1971. N1 is the date code for 1971

plainsmen
Posted November 6, 2011 - 11:19am

Wouldn't be that much.  There's a watchmaker on this site called "timemachines".

I just had an Oceanographer serviced though it didn't need a new crystal.  Crystal will probably run you $20-30 bucks installed.  I'm betting you could get away with <$100 but you'd have to ask him.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted November 6, 2011 - 11:31am

would definately have a pro handle it and with the correct Genuine Accutron Crystal.

plainsmen
Posted November 6, 2011 - 11:35am

In reply to by FifthAvenueRes…

Looks to be the Bulova Automatic version of this watch and not the Accutron version.

The Accutron will cost quite a bit more for service.  Shoot even to have mike look at those things it's a fair penny.  Pretty darned intricate those things are.

phels29
Posted November 6, 2011 - 11:52am

In reply to by FifthAvenueRes…

I would never try to repair it myself, this watch would definitely go to a pro for repairs. I just wanted to make sure that it the crystal could be replaced.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted November 6, 2011 - 11:53am

My bad, it's not an Accutron.

heh.

mybulova_admin
Posted November 7, 2011 - 5:36am

Repair or timing of the movement should not be that costly or hard. An experienced watch repairer would be able to do it, not your replace a battery and band kinda guy but a proper watch repairer.

The crystal you should be able to source somewhere. eBay is always a good spot.

Get the diameter of the glass and go searching.

The watch is a wonderful keepsake and if I were you I'd get it fixed and not part with it.

Good luck.