218d Watch Band Needed

Submitted by Kelly on December 12, 2010 - 4:46pm

Hello All,

I recently inherited a 218d 1967 Accutron watch with a 14k gold filled case and it appears to be in pretty good shape. I had a jeweler replace the battery a week ago and it has been keeping good time; humming as it does. It currently has a 10K Top Cap Speidel watch band. I would like to get a vintage Accutron band but I really do not know what the typical band out of the factory would be, gold or leather. Or even what the typical design, color or carat might be for either of the two options.

This is why I am turning to this Forum. I am looking for suggestions as to what to get and possibly where to locate the band. A popular internet auction site has dozens of vintage bands, but I do not know which one, or even if any of those shown are the correct ones. Additionally, I really do not know the value of the watch and I am not sure if the band should exceed to cost of a watch.

I know, a lot of questions, but I am hoping to make this watch as close to 1967 as possible. I have also posted images of the watch under member name Kelly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and for creating this web site.
Regards,
Kelly
Wayne Hanley
Posted December 13, 2010 - 1:03am

Kelly, welcome aboard!!!

Check the date symbol on the back of the watch again please. 1967 sounds a bit early for a 1967 Accutron 218. Before you buy a band, try to get an idea of what your watch is worth, by looking for similar watches on ebay. Measure the distance between the lugs. Is the measurement 17.5mm? Check the on site ads. Click on the Information tab at the top of this page & click on Bulova Ads after 1965. Look thru all of the Accutron ads. Watch bands are normally personal preference. You  can pay big bucks for a band with the tuning fork symbol on the clasp, so watch for bargain prices on the metal tuning fork bands. If you prefer a leather band, alligator leather design always looks good on Accutrons.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

Wayne

Kelly
Posted December 13, 2010 - 7:37am

Wayne,

Thanks for your thoughtfule response.  In answer to your questions.

1. The numbers on the back cars are E73634 M7, I thooght this was for a 1967 watch.

2. My measurement between the lugs is 17.5 mm.

And thanks for the tip at looking at ols ads to find a band.

The Best,

Kelly

Wayne Hanley
Posted December 13, 2010 - 11:24pm

Kelly

M7 = 1967 that is correct.  Accutron bands fit the watch just right for the 17.5mm lug space. Watch out for other metal bands that come in even numbers like 18mm won't fit correctly. On the Accutron bands look for the curve at the lug ends to match the curve in your watch. If leather, you can sqeeze an 18mm between the lugs or trim it carefully to fit with an XACTO blade or sandpaper. Show us a pick when you get a new band.

Wayne