Accutron Spaceview 1967

Submitted by el tel on December 24, 2013 - 11:23am

The battery on the above watch expired , it was a 329 and I purchased a Accucell-1 to replace it. After inserting the battery the watch did not work so I immediately removed the new battery in case this may damage the watch .  Is there a special technique to start the watch or does this mean that the watch mechanism has expired.  Thanks.

Terry

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted December 24, 2013 - 4:45pm

Terry,

Make certain the battery is installed in the correct orientation, a slap below the 12, between the 3 and 9 should get the forks vibrating.

lylel396
Posted December 26, 2013 - 10:09am

Fifth  Avenue Rest gave some good advise.  In most watches you install the battery -- first  btu it's + first or down in an Accutron. I use 387S batteries in my 214.s.

It's not unusual for an Accutron to need to be "jump started" when you put in a new battery and I do that by giving it about 3 sharp slaps on the side to get the forks vibrating.

William Smith
Posted December 28, 2013 - 6:41am

In reply to by lylel396

Too funny and for my 214,  true.  I put a new battery in one of my 214's last week, and it didn't hum.  I grumbled a bit, and accidentally droped it on the floor in my dismay.  I picked it up and it was humming.... but I sure wouldn't recommend this "drop on floor" method as a jump start.  I musta just got lucky.

el tel
Posted December 28, 2013 - 5:48am

Thankyou for the excellent advice , watch now working perfectly. Seasons greetings.

terry