Bullova Accutron- 1969 218 series- fixing vs buying a new one

Submitted by morens1 on February 13, 2013 - 7:31am

Hi All,

My father has a Bulova Acutron watch which stopped working (1969, Series 218 (Model No. 1-1 606622).

He used to use it when singing acapella, as it had the built in tuning fork.

I am not sure if it's worthwhile to fix it now as fixing cost $450 and only 6 months guarantee (it was already fixed in 2009).

So my questions are:

1.  Do today's Bulova Accutron still work as a tuning fork/ give out an f# constant sound?

It might be cheaper to get a new one rather than repair the old one.  Seems ridiculous to fix it for that price while guarantee is only for 6 months, while I could just get a new one for my father for around the same price.

2.  Does that series have any value?

Thanks for helping out.

Moren

Geoff Baker
Posted February 13, 2013 - 8:26pm

Moren - that's a tough question. Most of us feel that any family heirloom is worth maintaining. That having been said, $450 for Accutron service seems pretty steep. While I don't think we have any Accutron repair people on our site it is possible that someone will pop up and recommend a qualified repair person to you. Also understand that Bulova stopped making the tuning fork movement watches in the 70's and that any new Bulova you buy today marked Accutron will be either a mechanical OR a battery powered quartz movement.

Good Luck!

plainsmen
Posted February 13, 2013 - 8:31pm

Timemachines is an Accutron Repairman....

Reverend Rob
Posted February 13, 2013 - 9:17pm

Bulova doesn't repair the tuning fork watches at all anymore, at least not in Canada. They say they have no parts. 

morens1
Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:21am

Thanks for the answers.

1. It was fixed in the past. How do I know they didn't fix it by switching the inside to replace the tuning fork with a mechanical or battery powered one? Is that possible? Because if so then its value without the original tuning fork is lost…

2.   The place that gave this price quote is in the UK- Bulova approved,  and it includes an Overhaul/Clutch mechanism/New Glass/Cell/Readjust

indexing/New Bulova Crown. I don’t know if that means that they basically switch the whole inside.

3.  6 months is no real guarantee.....Should I post this on the repair forum?

Thanks,

Moren

lylel396
Posted February 24, 2013 - 11:51am

I have about 60 Accutrons and have never paid anywhere close to that to have one repaired. In my never to be humble opinion, that price is ridiculous. Iunderstand that Time Machines here in the forum repairs Accutrons and would suggest that you contact him.  There are others who work on them also including a guy in Bulgaria.

At one time, if you sent an Accutron back to Bulova for repair, they would replace the movement witha quartz one but it was easy to tell, the hum woud be gone and the second hand would have the quartz jerk.