Bulova archive before 1970 lost " how and why" ?

Submitted by airborne on October 26, 2013 - 1:33pm

I know that archive and information about Bulova before 1970. Where lost some how.

Some more information about this would be interesting.

Sound strange that an old company like Bulova not is more affraid about there history.

plainsmen
Posted October 26, 2013 - 2:37pm

Several of us called Bulova and asked what happened a few years ago when we were looking for the Berkshire identification for that particular watch.

What we were told is that in the late 70's to early 80's Bulova corporate moved offices.  Something about the truck that kept all the old records was just taken to the dump and all records just thrown away.

Now.... that being said.  Bob was able to have someone from Bulova send old proof pictures of the Berkshire and Air King.  So maybe not EVERYTHING was discarded but who knows?  We've not been given the full story I don't think.

airborne
Posted October 26, 2013 - 5:20pm

In reply to by plainsmen

Thank you Plains for your answer. Strange that they just throw away all there history :'(

mybulova_admin
Posted October 26, 2013 - 11:19pm

I've also enquired several times to Bulova if there is anyone we can talk to about searching/accessing their archives (however small). Bulova have never really responded to these requests which is a shame, and might suggest they have limited information.

It would be good if we could get a new contact in Bulova NY to help confirm this information.

bourg01
Posted October 28, 2013 - 2:41pm

I think we should look at Bulova itself. Is Bulova still a separate company or owned by Swatch or another company. That could explain alot. I believe that they may be owned by the Swatch Group of companies and thus, no intrest in the Original brand archives. Don't bring me to task, just a theory.

timerestoration
Posted October 28, 2013 - 3:09pm

In reply to by bourg01

The last I heard was that BULOVA's Parent Company is CITIZEN, and my guess would be that they have zero interest in the Bulova History brought up in this post.

airborne
Posted October 28, 2013 - 3:22pm

I think its own by Citizen like timerestoration said. But its still strange that they seems not be interested in there past because it would be an asset for the company today :-) 

History is important

Reverend Rob
Posted October 28, 2013 - 3:34pm

It is owned by Citizen. Their higher end is all Swiss, and the lower end is Japanese and Chinese. I think if they had the records, they'd use them in advertising, if only to emphasize the longevity of the company. I am trying to get in touch with a guy I know there, he mentioned some archival stuff. It may be nothing, but could be somewhat useful.

airborne
Posted October 28, 2013 - 3:38pm

Sound interesting Rob :-)

bourg01
Posted October 28, 2013 - 5:10pm

Airborne, Sometimes what we may percieve to make sense is lost in the corporate world of profit making for the company and it's shareholders. Answering  Inquiries into the history of Bulova and the vintage watches makes no money for them. So I think that's the bottom line to the lack of concern or willingness to help or to try to help.

Buy a Moderan Bulova and make a warranty enquiry and I'm sure, no certain, you gets lots of help.