Bulova MIL-SHIPS-W-2181

Submitted by bobbee on December 3, 2014 - 2:00pm

Here is an extremely rare piece, the Bulova Mil-Ships-W-2181. This watch was an experimental design that never actually went into production, other than the handful (supposedly around half a dozen at first) of original test pieces sent to the military for testing in the field.

After the military passed on the production of this model, the test subjects were given to divers in the Navy for regular use.

Only six complete watches, and one empty case are known. This one, found by Gregory Senior on the Dominican Republic recently, is the sixth known. Mr. Senior has given me permission to use his images for this thread, and for that I thank him.

As can be seen, it has a movement marked L7 for 1957, the 10BPCHN. (if anyone has one of these, or have heard of one, I can find a buyer!).

This example is no.299, as can be seen on both the case back and the movement. (This number on the case back and movement may have some meaning for other dive watches on this site too.)

The inner brass dome (pic 6) is not a dust cover, but is used in conjunction with the cicular movement spring to hold the movement in place, and being thick brass has anti-magnetic properties too. This feature is seen on other military watches like the A-11, A17-A and others.

One of these watches has been seen in popular auction for mid five figures, for a watch missing it's complete bezel! This price shows how much these models are cherished by military collectors, and complete like this may fetch considerably more.

The watch is all original, except for a crown replacement.

Enjoy guys and gals.

All photographs by Greg Senior.

photo DSCF1672_zps15bcecfb.jpg

photo DSCF1656_zpscc212b8e.jpg

photo DSCF1670_zps93d6b84a.jpg

photo DSCF1678_zps219a81b5.jpg

photo DSCF1682_zps815d9579.jpg

photo DSCF1691_zpsd73565fa.jpg

photo DSCF1693_zpsbbe113f3.jpg

photo DSCF1696_zpse4ee7694.jpg

photo DSCF1704_zpse9d3fa60.jpg

1955mercury
Posted December 3, 2014 - 9:35pm

I think we could counterfeit that one Bobbee if you could get your hands on it for a few days so we could get measurements.

Reverend Rob
Posted January 23, 2017 - 8:09pm

No info on the movt in any of the usual sources. Rare as rare can be. 

What we do know is that this is one of Bulova's own movts, from the 10BP. 10.5''' with the sweep second. The only thing incongruous I find about this example is the hands, they look completely wrong. 

zappatore88
Posted January 23, 2017 - 6:52pm

One of my most favorite watches ! Wishing there were more 

produced, what are the measurements of it? I know it's 16mm

lug with. What's the rest? I would love to reproduce it as is 

not with a huge lug width like the rest of the homage watches

BCenney
Posted September 16, 2021 - 11:47pm

Hello. 

I'm curious, on the bezel ring are the numbers 15, 30, and 45 illuminated with the Promethium or Tritium radioactive material?

Do the hash marks on the bezel glow as well?

Is that bezel acrylic?

mybulova_admin
Posted September 17, 2021 - 2:03am

In reply to by BCenney

Might be a little hard to answer your questions as I we'd need to wait for someone who actually owns one to answer. Maybe one day.

Reverend Rob
Posted September 17, 2021 - 3:21pm

Dive watches of the late 50s were usually made with acrylic crystals, which would flex but not break. My 100 atmosphere (1000 m) Squale has an acrylic crystal and dates to 1959. 

Radium was used until the mid sixties by some companies, and you can find it used in electric alarm clocks until the late 70s. Tritium was available in the 50s, most famously used by Panerai in the 'Luminor' series of dive watches, but it's use was limited. It is possible that the Bulova here is Radium, but we just don't know. It wouldn't be unusual if it was, and I strongly suspect it is. Being a mIlitary issue watch, it is also very likely the hash marks would be luminous as well as the hands with the large cavities for the luminous compound. 

mybulova_admin
Posted September 17, 2021 - 10:41pm

Original 1959 article

1959 Bulova Mil-SHIP watch article

John Kennedy
Posted July 11, 2022 - 9:41pm

Hey everyone, 

Thank you for putting up this site! I found it while researching my Dad's watch which he gave to me before he died 20 years ago. I wore it to honor him at my Mom's COL last week and became curious. I found this site and have posted pictures in an attempt to learn more. It might be #7!

I had it cleaned and it works fine, the luminescence does not shine very brightly, but I now know what the little patches are (litmus) thanks to you. 

My Dad was OIC of EODU1 based in Hawaii in 1957 and took part in many types of breathing apparatus experiments, including some of the first SCUBA tests. He also was awarded several citations times. So it would make sense that he would have been given one of these watches. Unfortunately I can't ask him!

Best,

John Kennedy

John Kennedy
Posted July 11, 2022 - 10:00pm

For some reason the pictures aren't posting. I'll try again here - 

Back with number

John Kennedy
Posted July 11, 2022 - 10:03pm

Trying the face againWatch face