Does anyone out there have 1940's ads that show the Surgeon?

Submitted by plainsmen on November 8, 2010 - 5:30pm

As you can see from the variants below on these four different doctor's watches it's unknown as to what an origional and a original variant or redial looks like.  Just hoping someone might have one stashed away that can shed some light.

To steal a line from another thread about the lone eagle, will the true Surgeon please stand up? =)

Stephen Ollman
Posted November 8, 2010 - 6:09pm

Not sure if this helps any, but I pulled these out of a listing od dials I have. The list is very incomplete.

Bulova Doctor Watch Dials

plainsmen
Posted November 8, 2010 - 7:03pm

In reply to by Stephen Ollman

The top two on the dials sure do look like the 1942 Surgeon watch dials.  The 1940's versions don't have the 3 and 9 numerals though... just a - where they should be.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted November 9, 2010 - 5:19pm

I recently read that  in those times rarely did one walk into a local jeweler and buy a watch 'off the shelf'. A process occured in which a case was selected by the customer, then a movement for that style case, dial, hands, crystal etc all within the peramiters or 'level' of case originally selected. The watch was then assembled by the jeweler. If it's true or not I honestly don't know but it makes sense  after seeing all of the different variations of particular model design out there. I'll see if I can't find the article once again.

plainsmen
Posted November 20, 2010 - 11:27am

Here's another that's up for sale on Ebay right now, but only the dial/movement looks to have survived!  Great looking watch, but again with the different hands than the rest.  Thought they seem very similar to the hands on the two-tone one above.

I think that date on that one is 1948 or 1949?

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

Stephen Ollman
Posted November 22, 2010 - 10:01pm

Looks like L2

plainsmen
Posted December 4, 2010 - 2:12am

AH HA!!! The two tone is original!! I found another one!  Woot!  Even right down to the iridescent paint on the numbers and the blue seconds hand!

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll