Rose Gold in 1959?

Submitted by Elgin Doug on April 11, 2011 - 9:37pm

I've been looking at a watch on Ebay, the same case as the 1959 President Wayne posted a while back.  The watch is an L9 like Wayne's, but the case is rose gold.  I'm curious about that, because I don't remember seeing any rose gold watches from Bulova, Elgin, or Hamilton this late in the 1950s.

Also, the dial is white, and the markers and hands are gold. 

Was Bulova still selling any rose gold watches by that time?  I'm thinking that the case may have been replated.  Between that, and the strangeness going on in the bidding, I'm steering well clear!

OldTicker
Posted April 11, 2011 - 10:01pm

Doug,

None of the ad's list Rose Gold as a option, even on the ladies watches.

Looks like Yellow, White, Chrome & Stainless are about it.

Good one to stay away from if funny bidding is going on.

Wayne Hanley
Posted April 12, 2011 - 2:32am

It's over two hundred with 21 hours to go. Jack my black one up! Don't know about the rose case Doug. Can't find an ad on it.

Wayne

Elgin Doug
Posted April 12, 2011 - 6:47pm

Wayne, it's over 200, but there's one guy who bid on it SIXTEEN TIMES!  All in little incremental bids.

Between that, and the unlikely nature of the rose gold case, I think I'll stick with my bottomfeeding...

Sainttess
Posted April 12, 2011 - 7:53pm

Yeah, and the dude who keeps jacking up the price only has one feedback...  either a shill bidder, or just very new to the game.  I gotta say, when I first started bidding on Ebay, I did the same thing, not understanding maximum bidding and stuff.  Now I'm an ol' pro who practices the fine art of sniping. :)

Wayne Hanley
Posted April 13, 2011 - 1:13pm

It ended with RESERVE NOT MET highbid of $212.50.

Here is another one same seller. Buy it Now originally $369.95 reduced to $277.46

Step up & getchur cat eared white dial Bulova!!! I had never seen one before until I bought the black one.

Wayne Hanley
Posted April 13, 2011 - 4:37pm

Doug & Saintless

I think the bidder that appeared to be jacking the bid was trying to find the reserve, a few bucks at a time.

Wayne

Elgin Doug
Posted April 13, 2011 - 8:41pm

Maybe, Wayne.  He never did find it, though!