What is this 1930 beauty and what dial/hands should it have?

Submitted by GVP on February 23, 2011 - 9:00am

Firstly some muppet mutalated this beauty by putting on a cruddy non fitting fake diamond dial that is rubbish. Am I right in thinking it should have a silver dial with the radium style numbers and pierced luminous hands? Secondly anyone got either or both going spare they want to sell, thirdly what model is it? It runs a 1930 10an movement. Not the best of photos as taken quickly but you get the idea.......Thanks, GP .

GVP
Posted February 23, 2011 - 9:07am

Thought I had found two of the answers when I found the 1930 Brunswick posted on here, but it looks totally different to the 1929 advert for the Brunswick also posted so not sure now, could they really change that much in one year?

NOVA
Posted February 23, 2011 - 9:11am

I just bought one like this--different dial, though--thinking that it is a Brunswick based on the 1930 version in the database.  It's the only one I found that could be it, so we'll hope the one in the database is not mislabeled.

GVP
Posted February 23, 2011 - 9:13am

In reply to by NOVA

I hate this dial, I dont understand why some muppet would want to put that on it. I want it back to original state so perhaps when you get yours you'd let me know what kind of dial is on it. Thanks

NOVA
Posted February 23, 2011 - 9:17am

Here's the one I bought.  It's a refurb.  10AN movement dates to 1928.

GVP
Posted February 23, 2011 - 9:23am

Ok, Thanks, at least I now know the style of dial and hands I am searching for as both yours and the Brunswick (which I dont believe is a Brunswick now),  that is listed show the same design.....now onto finding them... and to confirm the model name.....how many months will this take I wonder!

If yours is 1928 and the advert that shows a different design for the Brunswick is 1929 and the Brunswick on here posted by someone is 1930 that just dont add up if you follow me. They wouldn't have one design change it for a year then change back again

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted February 23, 2011 - 9:48am

Dial should be Butler finish, 10AN dated 1929.

Don't know where the Brunswick ID came from, ad is unnamed.

NOVA
Posted February 23, 2011 - 10:15am

According to this 1930 ad, the dial and hands should be luminous.  Please correct me if I'm wrong--I am just starting to learn this stuff--but I thought that, strictly speaking, a Butler finish is not luminous but rather just the simple, printed numbers.  Here's a reference to some definitions for the various style of dials:  http://www.dialrefinish.net/definitions.html  Is this info incorrect?

GVP
Posted February 23, 2011 - 10:21am

In reply to by NOVA

I've always believed Butler finish is a kind of matt like silver. The original numbers and hands are Radium filled so yes luminous.

NOVA
Posted February 23, 2011 - 10:34am

In reply to by GVP

Yes, the site I referenced does describe the Butler finish has having a light silver toned background, but also, in regard to the numbers, it describes them as "prints" and "normally in black".  The example given shows very simple, one dimensional printed numbers without any filler, luminous or otherwise.  Further down the page, you get to the luminous style numbers.

GVP
Posted February 23, 2011 - 10:47am

In reply to by NOVA

That's right. But the Dial and Numbers are (should rightly be) described as two separate entities not as a whole. So a Butler finish dial can have any kind of numerals: Black, Gilt, Raised, Print and so on. Butler style refers to the background finish only, not the numerals.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted February 23, 2011 - 10:44am

Butler finish applies to the Dial color (Silver).

Radium (luminous) Numerals and Hands, Yes.

The Radium (luminous) was an additional finish added to the printed Numerals and Watch Hands.

NOVA
Posted February 23, 2011 - 11:03am

Cool, thanks!

Wayne Hanley
Posted February 23, 2011 - 1:34pm

It's a Brunswick case. Lower left in this 1930 Ad & a cropped Brunswick from the ad.

My 1930 Brunswick has a silver dial & cathedral hands, It's in the database.

Below is an example of a cream colored dial.

The ad below causes Brunswick confusion, mainly because  the watch has never been seen. I'll offer $300 for a Brunswick identical to this 1929 ad.

Wayne

GVP
Posted February 25, 2011 - 10:01am

In reply to by Wayne Hanley

I disagree as per above. The two watches are not the same. the brunwick has engraving in the centre of each side only as shown in the adverts, not covering each side. nor does it show the brunswick as having gold piping either. The two adverts you show are the one and the same watch, the Brunswick, which is different to your watch, my watch and others.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted February 23, 2011 - 5:10pm

Wayne,

Then I have to firmly disagree on the Brunswick ID.

The 1929 ad and 1930 ad You show are showing an identical Watch case, the 1930 ad is blurred but is the same watch as in the 1929 'unseen model' ad, look closely around the Crown  and compare the two.

Neither of which are the same Watch as the ad I show, also dated 1930, which is identical to the Case in question but an unnamed Model.

Watch on the Left is the 1929 Brunswick, Watch in the Center is the 1930 Brunswick, identical to the 1929. The Watch on the Right which is the Watch in Question and the same as Your Watch is not the same case as in the 1929 or 1930 ads showing the Brunswick therefore is not a Brunswick.

GVP
Posted February 25, 2011 - 9:41am

In reply to by FifthAvenueRes…

I totally agree fifth. How the 1929  advert which is clearly a Brunswick can be presumed the same as the 1928 and 1930 watches above is beyond me. The Brunswick clearly has large patches of plain smooth bezel, the two watches above do not. The 1929 advert of the Brunswick shows no additional gold piping, yet the 1928 &1930 watches above do. These are not Brunswick, just no way.

Wayne Hanley
Posted February 27, 2011 - 4:41pm

Fifth

The early ads are atrocious and do not show the real details of the actual watch to the artist conception in the ads. Recall we had an identity problem with Sephen's Senator, in that he believes it was an executive. We did call it an Executive until I found one and measured it., and determined that it was a Senator. We also found that there were two different Senator engraving configurations on watches in 1928.

You jumped to the same conclusion on the Revere. You seem to believe the ads rather than the watches. The Brunswick watch is the only watch that even comes close to the ad. I don't care what you call your watch, mine is a Brunswick.

Wayne

In reference to the 1929 & 1930 ads, they are not the same watches. Note the differeing position of the minute & second hands & the different bracelets.

Wayne Hanley
Posted May 19, 2011 - 2:56am

I was wrong guys & gals. I finally saw a real Brunswick watch and it matches the ad exactly.