What is it worth?? 1962 LaPetite 23 Jewels Bulova Ladies 14K

Submitted by abreeves on December 15, 2010 - 6:28pm

1962 La Petite 23 Jewels Bulova Ladies - Watch/Band 14K Solid WG w/ 54 Diamond Accents; Stamped USA made, 5AD Movement, and dated '5AD' identifying 1962.

Can anyone tell me what my watch is worth +/- ??  It works & is in excellent condition .. some small hairline scratches.

Please take a look at the pics & info from my New Watch Posted "1962 La Petite" on home page.  The Watch, Band/Clasp are marked 14K GOLD.  The Watch measures approx 2.5", and has 50 diamond accents.  The Band measures approx 4", and has 4 diamonds accents. 

http://www.mybulova.com/watches/1962-la-petite-1116

Thanks Everyone!  Adrienne (FL)

Wayne Hanley
Posted December 15, 2010 - 7:50pm

Adrian

The 14K GOLD surrounded by J's are the casemaker's registered trademark/symbol for solid gold. JACAY is the casemaker's name. With a timepiece like this protect your investment, do not pass go, go directly to a professional appraiser, not a jewler & definetly not on line.

Good Luck & Wear it in good health.

Wayne

abreeves
Posted December 15, 2010 - 9:45pm

In reply to by Wayne Hanley

Wow!   Thanks for the 'heads-up'!  I think I paid about $265 for it a few years ago .. so should it be worth more than that do you think???  I did do the math and it's just shy of being a half a century old!  It's really elegant .. My petite daughter wouldn't even wear it for her beautiful wedding, she was afraid it was too delicate for the after party, etc.

I just don't know much about the details of fine jewelry or watches.  Unfortunately, my hand is to big to slide the watch onto my wrist .. and I would probably need at least another 1/2 to an 1 inch more of band to clamp it, so I WISH I could wear it!   Its a shame something so pretty has to sit in a box. :(

By the way .. how do go about finding a REAL Appraiser vs. someone that says he is ... ??  Would it be something listed in the local yellow pages?

plainsmen
Posted December 15, 2010 - 7:54pm

Yep... I was just posting the same.   That's going to be a jeweler's appraisal... not old watch guys...  who knows how many of those diamonds are paste or real?

Stephen Ollman
Posted December 15, 2010 - 10:08pm

I'd certainly say they were real diamonds. From the Bulova's I've seen that have solid gold cases they usually don't skimp on the bling.

What you have is an extremely nice example of one of Bulova's finer ladies watches and would have cost a pretty penny in its day. The movement itself its that valuable but with the combination of the gold and diamonds I'd image it would be worth something more than what you originally paid for it.

Agree with comments posted thus far, have it appraised by a professional. Although with that said they will probably only base the bulk of their appraised value on the gold and diamond content. I doubt they will know the true value of the watch as a whole.

This is the kinda watch any man would love to give to his wife. I know I would.

Best of luck!