Bulova Watch....Help! What is it?

jjw1952's picture


I have done quite an extensive search as to what year/make/model/date/price all of it, that this watch is.

I have narrowed it down to the 1950-52s.

If anyone has any insight or needs clarification on the pictures, please let me know! I am mostly interested in the year, make and model of the watch as well as a value.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!!


Thank you!!

Wayne Hanley's picture
Wayne Hanley
Posted October 21, 2011 - 2:48pm


Tell us alll about what you learned from your research please! Click on the Forms tab at the top of this page & use this as a guide.

How to add images to myBulova.com forums & comments

jjw1952's picture
Posted October 21, 2011 - 3:43pm

Well, first off, the numbers and letters on the back of it are:



so by using those, I found that it is a 1951 edition. Acadamy Award was the movement name, and all the pictures of that watch on this site are very similar, but not exactly like the one I have. This is as close as I can get.

My watch's differences are:

Intricate design around the face in the gold plating, a mini face maybe the "seconds" face where the "6" would be, and the crystal top to the watch, is a Quadrant (4 section) crystal. Most of the ones I have seen online had one "crease" or many.

Also, the band is different than the others, and it is the original. It is stretch, but it has rows of 3blocks on each link.

Is this more valuable/rare? I know my picture is rough, and I am still having troubles uploading them, but I am working on it......


Thank you SO much for replying! :D

jjw1952's picture
Posted October 21, 2011 - 3:48pm

1951 Acadamy Award?


jjw1952's picture
Posted October 21, 2011 - 3:49pm


Wayne Hanley's picture
Wayne Hanley
Posted October 21, 2011 - 4:23pm

It looks to me to be a Treasurer model. Here is a nice example picture & an ad to verify. Verify the date by removing the back plate (very simple to gently prior open with a blunt instrument like a butter knife & look for a movement date symbol  L1 for 1951 as you know. Record all other stamped data while you have the back case off.

Posted October 22, 2011 - 6:16am

Club 5000Panel Member

Nice pickup Wayne. I agree with your call. Non original crown but a good looking watch all the same.

jjw1952's picture
Posted October 21, 2011 - 5:14pm


Wow!! Who would have ever thought to look on the inside!

Ok there are some stamped #s, and there are etched numbers/letters and dates. Here goes:

Stamped lettering: BULOVA 10k Rolled Gold Plated Bezel Stainless Back NEW YORK

Etched lettering/numbers: NRAGO 12-14-76 (date?); 7072X1; BCW A5V;

That is as good as it gets! some of the questionable letters/numbers could be somethign different, but those are the consensus letters! I hope that helps!

¶2 72 SB ND 1422

Posted October 22, 2011 - 6:17am

Club 5000Panel Member

On the movement there should be the movement model number 7AA or something similar.

That will help you source the correct winding crown for your watch.

Wayne Hanley's picture
Wayne Hanley
Posted October 21, 2011 - 6:54pm

Anything you can't read is not worth making a record of. Now you know everything about your watch. Wear it in good health.

Posted October 21, 2011 - 9:01pm

The small etched numbers on the inside of the caseback are watchmaker scribes, a special code used by watchmakers to record the last service date and what was done.

As long as you have the back off of this watch, take a look at the watch movement its self, there is a lot of info on that as well, such as the jewel count, movement  calibre, (three digit letter/number combo inside a rectangle box) and date code that the movement was made.

As far as the value, we don't give that info out here, but a search of auctions sites  for a comparable watch will give you an idea what it is worth, depending on its condition.

It is a Treasuer, and looks like the crown (winding knob) has been replaced at one time with one that is to large for the watch.

shooter144's picture
Posted October 21, 2011 - 9:14pm

Yea that crown looks like one of the rubber filled ones for the '23' or watertites etc...