Bulova 1951 Academy Award

5/10 votes
Model ID rating explained.
1.614
Manufacture Year: 
1951
Movement Model: 
10BM
Movement Jewels: 
21
Case Serial No.: 
3961987
Case shape: 
Tonneau
Case Manufacturer: 
Bulova
Crystal Details: 
GS CMY312-6 (Ac. Award)
Gender: 
Mens
Additional Information: 

1951 21 j 10bm model. The only crystal to fit is a CMY 312-6 for an Academy Award Model. The case is all 10k gold filled. The date, case, 21j movement and crystal all suggest it may be an academy, we know there are plain dial varients around. I can find no adverts for this model or hardly any other models the same as. So any ideas? Excellency or Academy are the two front runners at present!

Not For Sale
Bulova watch
Bulova watch
William Smith's picture
William Smith
Posted October 30, 2012 - 2:50am

Club 5000Panel Member

Now I'm confused.  Watch takes the CMY 312-6 but may also fit the 312-18?  Both similar sizes, one book has CMY 312-6 as AA ZZ and other has same as just AA?  Conflicting info for same CMY 312-6 so I'm going back to
Generic AA
 

JP
Posted October 30, 2012 - 3:36am

Panel Member

Changing my vote to generic AA as well. GS did advertise that it was always best to try a smaller crystal first for some reason. It is printed on just about every other page of thier catalogs.

GVP
Posted October 30, 2012 - 4:59am

I can understand why they say that. I have found that for many if you fit the crystal recommended, especially if it is an angled one or odd shaped one. It can fit in tight but then over a period the pressure causes it to get a crack which seems interior. I am forever having to shave a tiny bit off of crystals to make them fit snug but not too tight as it causes problems. Is this just a GS thing? As stated I know they used to list almost the exact same crystal with a different number so watchmakers would buy more, for instance there is a hamilton crystal (possibly the sutton) which fits many of the deco Bulova models and vice versa yet they made two different crystals.

JP
Posted October 30, 2012 - 9:03am

Panel Member

I know exactly what you are saying. I found a Hamilton crystal that required just a tiny bit of filing to fit one of my Bulovas perfectly but could not find the correct Bulova crystal to fit it. Wierd isn't it?

DarHin's picture
DarHin
Posted October 30, 2012 - 2:57pm

OT, good catch on my misidentification of the crystal. I remember looking at the Brewster crystal and probably mixed up the numbers. Thanks.

OldTicker
Posted October 30, 2012 - 5:49pm

2mm is quite a bit to shave off of a crystal to get it to fit, I would say that about 90% of the GS crystals I have used, usually snap right in as long as the grooves are prepped, the other 10% need maybe a 1/2mm filed off for a snap in fit. Rocket on the other hand is a different story...

GVP
Posted October 30, 2012 - 6:01pm

where did you get the 2mm from?

 

OldTicker
Posted October 30, 2012 - 6:08pm

Thats the size difference between the CMY312-18 verses the CMY 312-6...2mm on the lenght, and 1mm on the width.

bobbee's picture
bobbee
Posted October 30, 2012 - 6:45pm

0.2 and 0.1 mm.

OldTicker
Posted October 30, 2012 - 6:50pm

LOL!

Thanks...forgot the decimel...