10k natural gold filled 1934-35 Ambassador - typo in 1935 ad stating "yellow rolled gold plate"?

Submitted by William Smith on April 17, 2012 - 10:23pm

I have a question about gold filled vs rolled gold plate relating to some 1934/35 Ambassador ads.  Perhaps there is a typo in one of the 1935 ads?  All except one ad in 1934/35 state available in yellow gold, natural gold or "10K gold filled".  Only one 1935 ad specifically states "yellow rolled gold plate".  Could this one ad be a typo?

Would Bulova offer both "natural (yellow) 10k gold filled" and "yellow rolled gold plate" in the same model and same year?   

1934 ad (below) for "10K natural gold filled", also lists "white rolled gold plate" choice.

Two 1935 ads (below) state "white rolled gold plate" or "10k natural gold filled".

The 1935 ad in question (below) states available in "white rolled gold plate" or "yellow rolled gold plate". This "yellow rolled gold plate" and may be a typo?

What do ya think?

Reverend Rob
Posted April 17, 2012 - 10:37pm

Gold filled is a thicker layer of Gold than Rolled Gold. The thinnest is electroplate. 

bourg01
Posted April 19, 2012 - 4:30pm

Hey Will,

In Rene rondeau's book, Hamilton Wristwatches A Collectors Guide he states

Gold Filled = 1/20 the wieght of the case or approximetly 80 microns thick

10k Rolled Gold Plate= 1/40 the case weight or about 40 microns, and most post 70's electroplated

watches have a layer only  10 microns thick.

Today's are even less, usually 6-8 microns.

DarHin
Posted April 19, 2012 - 5:16pm

I think Will was asking about the inconsistency in the ads, not the gold content itself.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted April 19, 2012 - 6:02pm

are there any database examples of the 'AMBASSADOR' in Yellow RGP?

William Smith
Posted April 19, 2012 - 7:13pm

In reply to by FifthAvenueRes…

Fifth - I checked a few and didn't see any.  There were more I didn't get to.  Checking today.

And yes DarHin, I was wondering if both gold fill and plate could have been offerend in that same year, or if folks though the one ad was a typo.

bourg01
Posted April 19, 2012 - 7:26pm

In reply to by William Smith

Looks like both Rob and I misunderstood, still good info to have if you didn't know and if you did, still good info for the new members who may be watching the thread.

William Smith
Posted April 19, 2012 - 7:32pm

In reply to by bourg01

sometimes I babble so much it's hard to figure out what I was asking...I'll try to be clear and concise.  Good info regardless...