1925-1930 Bulova Tonneau Unknowns

Submitted by Wayne Hanley on December 4, 2010 - 1:39am

The popular tonneau (barrell) cased Bulova produced in 1928-29-30 was the Lone Eagle series II.  I have pictures of some varients that are not in our advertising data base. If anyone has some ID information on any of these Bulova tonneau cases, please make a comment under each watch.

Tonneau #1

Wayne Hanley
Posted December 4, 2010 - 1:43am

Unknown Tonneau #2

Wayne Hanley
Posted December 4, 2010 - 12:48pm

In reply to by mybulova_admin

Stephen

Copy-paste of the Governor in the data base side by side with the example shows a structural difference at the lugs by the way the top bezel bar goes to the lug. The Governor bezel appears to be wider. Or it may be photographic focus. I was thinking that the base case on the left has room for the gold inlays similar to unknown the brother Tonneau in the third pic.. 

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted December 4, 2010 - 12:54pm

In reply to by Wayne Hanley

Are the examples Bulova cased? had to throw that one out there.

Wayne Hanley
Posted December 4, 2010 - 3:57pm

In reply to by FifthAvenueRes…

I can confirm the second & third watch are Bulova cased.

vintagebulova.com
Posted January 7, 2011 - 1:32pm

The first one is Bulova cased as well.   It's one of mine.

Wayne Hanley
Posted January 7, 2011 - 1:14pm

This Tonneau has shown up labled as a Lone Eagle for sale on an auction site. Although rare, this is definately not a Lone Eagle.

If anyone has this watch or knowledge of it please post a comment.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted January 7, 2011 - 1:53pm

Sorry Wayne, can't comment on the most recent but in the first two plain bezel models shown side by side, is one a Banker? (vertical case dimension is wider also on the watch on the right - named Governor)

The third example in that group, with the Gold inlay I have, the side of the case will be engraved in the traditional manner - 10AN dated 1930.

P.S. After looking closer at Your last example: Thie ribbed case design is out there, although not on this style of case.

Wayne Hanley
Posted January 7, 2011 - 1:48pm

5th

No, not a Banker. 

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne Hanley
Posted May 3, 2011 - 2:20pm

Measurements for both watches shown here are exactly the same. Name = Governor

Lug to Lug = 36.0mm

Case Mid Width = 26.5mm

Between Lugs = 16.0mm 

Crystal Length = 24.6

Crystal Top/Bot Bezel Width = 17.6mm

Crystal Mid Width = 22.5mm

mybulova_admin
Posted May 7, 2011 - 12:31am

Do we have these in the database?

Wayne Hanley
Posted May 7, 2011 - 1:05pm

In reply to by mybulova_admin

Stephen

I just copy/pasted the dimensions into information block on my Governor.I suggest you do the same for your Governor, Governor!

I don't know about Fifth gold striped tonneau, but numbers should be pretty close.

Ray Potter
Posted March 30, 2012 - 5:14am

I have what I believe to be a Governor. Date coded for 1930 but the inside case back has no mention of gold-fill . Would I be right in thinking it is chrome plate ?

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted March 30, 2012 - 5:57am

Rhodium plate.

Ray Potter
Posted March 30, 2012 - 11:02am

Thanks for your help.

Does it make my watch less valuable than a gold- filled ?

Ray Potter
Posted March 30, 2012 - 11:51am

I am no expert and I am a new boy on this forum  having only become a Bulova collector in the last year. The case on my Governor is not hard shine like Rhodium plate except for the edge of the bezel where it runs alongside the crystal. That piece is plated for sure. The rest of the case is white metal with no hard shine. More of a lustre .It looks  like solid alloy of some kind . Unless the plating it worn away and I am left with the base metal case. It still has the chasing along the sides. The case and the back are all the same kind of semi matte/flat finish. Inside the case back it has the usual Bulova Quality  Pat. Jan 11 1927 and the number 0105115 but no mention of the case material. The movement has an omerga mark for 1930.

What do think I have here ?

DarHin
Posted March 30, 2012 - 12:20pm

In reply to by Ray Potter

Ray, welcome. You should start another thread and post some good pics of the front, side, back and movement.

Darren

Ray Potter
Posted April 2, 2012 - 12:22pm

Darren

I would like to do that . So far I have not figured out how to attached the pictures . Sure it's easy when you know how !. I will figure it out in time.

Ray

DarHin
Posted April 2, 2012 - 12:33pm

I know it's complicated. If you click on "Add a Watch" under HOME above it's easier to add pics than in the forum. (Could be the other way around, I forget. It's still not intuitive to me either).

I'm sure you'll get a greater response to you questions if you add the watch. No worries.