1926 Conqueror

Submitted by Imagine on February 27, 2013 - 9:15pm

I recently purchased a 1926 Conqueror that needs a lot of TLC. Is there someone this site recommends for re-enameling the corners? Also, it came with a purple tinted crystal I'd like to replace. Are there stock or part numbers I should keep an eye out for? I've got tons more questions, but this should do for a start. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

mybulova_admin
Posted February 28, 2013 - 4:39am

I find for small touch ups to the enamelled corners you can use model aircraft enamal paint, from those small tins. I think I know the watch you bought and it was a mess, but will very happily help you however I can to restore her to her natural glory. A crystal that will work is the 21.0 x 21.0, they are tricky to find but they are out there. Expect to file down to fit.

I look forward to seeing your before and after photos.

I worth candidate for restoration.

Imagine
Posted February 28, 2013 - 6:49pm

You're correct - it is a mess. And far beyond my capabilities. But I love it anyway (bitten by the Bulova bug) so I'm thinking it best if I have it restored by a professional. Any recommendations would certainly be appreciated. Thanks and best regards...

Reverend Rob
Posted February 28, 2013 - 6:51pm

Believe it or not, that's how we did the high end watches when the bezel numbers or enamelled areas wore out, it works well. The original would have been enamel (paint). Actual inlay with vitreous enamel is extremely expensive. All you need to do is make sure it is scrupulously clean and free of any oil or fingerprints. An ammoniated solution I use on case parts and bracelets is 3 parts water, two parts Mr Clean all purpose cleaner (the iridescent green stuff) and one part household ammonia. I use this in an ultrasonic, but it works well any way, just don't leave the part in the solution for extended lengths of time, it will eventually discolour certain alloys. After cleaning, rinse with water and follow with 99% alcohol to chase the water. Dry without touching with your fingers. 

Imagine
Posted March 2, 2013 - 4:13pm

In reply to by Reverend Rob

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you consider an 'extended length of time'? I'd sure hate to cause any more damage than this poor things already been through. In addition to the solution, can I scrub or wipe it with anything, like a toothbrush? Except for missing enamel and a couple worn spots on the steel back, the case seems to be in better shape than the rest of the watch. Hinges seem to work well, except the pin in one is sticking out a little. Thanks Reverend, regards, Kyle. 

Imagine
Posted February 28, 2013 - 7:52pm

Thanks for your input, Rev. Rob. Coincidentally, it was reading that discussion between you and Mr. Ollman on timing a watch that frightened me back to reality. I'm full of enthusiasm, but way short on skill and knowledge. But I appreciate the advice on cleaning and how to enamel - maybe my son and I can contribute at least that much to the restoration. I'll be sure and take photos before we do anything so we can add to the database. It's a watch of some interest - has a case that falls within the database of the 1st 5000 Lone Eagles, but contains the rarer 10AP movement. The face has the open 9, but all the numbers need serious work (however, the Bulova signature, the 'racetrack' and the second hand 'racetrack' and numbering seem incredibly intact). The hands are missing, and the purple tinted crystal is a mystery. Might be fun to try and clean the dial if you have some suggestions I can attempt without causing more damage. Again, many thanks and best regards. 

Imagine
Posted March 2, 2013 - 4:07pm

Update: Greetings all - Thanks to site member DarHin, there is a clear glass crystal in the mail for this poor, battered '26 Conqueror. Thank you sir!