1929 parts

Submitted by Wangbow on June 19, 2015 - 1:05pm

Hey all,

I puchased a 1929 watch for my son's birthday that needs some love. I bought it so I can spend time finding replacement parts and a band to make it more meaningful and personal. So far I can tell that it is missing the crown, the stem, and the band. I've also seen other watches from this era with a plastic or glass cover to protect the movement? If so, then that's missing also. So my question would be, what would be period correct replacements (or modern equivalents) to get this watch back to complete. The model name is currently unknown, but hopefully that will help me with band and crown type once it is determined.

This is the watch in question.

http://www.mybulova.com/watches/1929-unknown-7644

Thanks

Paleotime
Posted June 20, 2015 - 5:13pm

Hi...

The stem is still readily available - a google search of Bulova 10AL stem will get you there.  Otto Frei has them listed for about $6.00.  NOS stuff is probably available (even) more cheaply elsewhere...The stem will be long and need fitting to length.

Crowns are a bit trickier - since you need to have the right recess to fit the tube.  It might be worth a trip to your local watchmaker, who can try some from their selection kits.

You are missing the snap ring and cover too.  These aren't strickly necessary.  I don't know about the others here - but I never have enough of them around...I don't know of a replacement other than sourcing an original in parts from someplace like ebay.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Daca102090
Posted June 20, 2015 - 6:32pm

No, he has the retainer ring for the dust shield, that is why the outer edge of the movement is covered.

Those dust shields were made of Nitro-cellulose the same as movie film stock.

it is common to use acetate like from page covers for 3 ring binders to replace these.

The originals got brittle over time.

On the movement, I believe that those 10AL's didn't have any cross over parts with other mvements.

You might consider getting a 10an repolacement from the same year as they are more plentiful as well as parts for them.  As well I think the dial will fit the 10an as well.

Paleotime
Posted June 20, 2015 - 6:48pm

Oops...You are right the ring is there.  Quite right - easy enough to cut a new cover.

Wangbow
Posted June 23, 2015 - 1:01pm

Thanks Paleotime and Daca, I definitely appreciate the help. I did order a replacement stem with the recommendation of Paleotime. And Daca I will definitely use the binder page replacement as that definitely works in my budget. 

Does anyone know a good way to remove the gunk, I guess it's old glue, from the side of the dial without wrecking the dial as well? Or how to remove the hands so I can clean the rust from them. Or whether either is not adviseable.