1944 Princeton man's watch

Submitted by kerrybee on August 8, 2011 - 5:40pm

Does anyone have an ad from that year showing the Princeton?  I have one with a face that looks just like the 1943 shown on this site.  But it is an 10AK (1944?) and has a small "o" just below the words Bulova Watch Co., and just to the left of U.S.A.  It is marked 21 jewels.  The cast, bevel and back, are 14k solid rose gold.  The inside back of the case is marked 14K, BULOVA, and has the numbers 23074.  There is a very faint "personal" engraving on the outside of the case back, the date 12-25-44.  I can't find one on the 'net like this. Any info greatly appreciated. 

Sorry, no camera available just now. 

Wayne Hanley
Posted August 8, 2011 - 8:05pm

If it looks like a ships steering wheel it's a Princeton. There are no ads that I know of for the watch.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted August 8, 2011 - 10:20pm

'PRINCETON'

Wayne Hanley
Posted August 9, 2011 - 3:34am

I believe Kerrybee was referring to the 1943 Princeton as a refernce to his 1944 dated watch. The 1943 Princeton looks somewhat like a ships wheel unlike the later Princeton shown above. Although I hate to butt in on this without seeing the watch. Although this Princeton does not have a "cast, bevel and back, of 14k solid rose gold". LOL I get nevous writng about solid gold also!

Bulova Princeton watch

kerrybee
Posted August 9, 2011 - 3:29pm

Sorry about the typo - meant "case" not cast. 

The face of my watch looks exactly like the face pictured above. Color, condition, hands, numerals.   The case however is very different.  It is a Bulova case, by its mark.  Although the watch date is 1944, and was a gift in 1944, I can't say for sure when my relative, now deceased, bought or was given the item.  He may have been a second owner.  I will keep looking for a Bulova gold case that would fit this watch.  For information, the stem winder is not karat gold.  It is gold filled with obvious wear to it. 

I appreciate the comments.  Thank you.

Wayne Hanley
Posted August 9, 2011 - 6:56pm

In reply to by kerrybee

Kerrybee

Without a picture I'm going to punt it back to you. It's in your hands now. Should be very easy for you to solve with on-site ads, as Bulova produced very few round watches in the early 1940's.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted August 10, 2011 - 8:25am

Wayne,

Is the Watch Case You are claiming to be a 1943 'PRINCETON' stamped Bulova in the traditional manner? - there are no ads to confirm this designs existance, no images to confirm the Cases authenticity as Bulova and it looks like an aftermarket re-case IMO.

Kerrybee,

The only other circular Watch of this era (I'm aware of) using the 21 Jewel 10AK movement would be the 'TREASURER', a 1947 version being the earliest actual Watch on record in the current database. Shown below.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted September 14, 2011 - 5:56am

In reply to by shooter144

'TREASURER' shooter - a 'youngun' according to the Date code.

kerrybee
Posted August 10, 2011 - 3:20pm

I tried to find a case like mine, and I found it on the Bay.  The watch face and case look just like mine, but the seller does not have info on the "workings" or numbers.  Says the case is rose gold.  Well, it has the same shape as mine,  you have to take the back off as that's where the karat mark, Bulova stamp and case # is. 

So I still don't know the name, but at least I'm making progress.

Wayne Hanley
Posted August 13, 2011 - 1:33pm

Fifth

Just because it doesn't have an ad does not mean it is not a Bulova Princeton. I bought it from Timerestoration as a 1943 Princeton. It was the first model Princeton.

Bulova Watch

You brought this subject up before on the same watch Fifth. Cudos to the Horological Hall Monitor!

http://www.mybulova.com/watches/1943-princeton-765

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted August 13, 2011 - 2:36pm

Wayne,

How are You determining the watch as the 'PRINCTON' model?

Without an advertisement showing it as such it is an 'UNKNOWN'.

Wayne Hanley
Posted August 14, 2011 - 5:17am

Here is the eBay auction data.

Super 1940s BULOVA PRINCETON 21J Rose GF Mens Watch!!
Another Authentic Timepiece from TIME RESTORATION!!
 Item condition: Pre-owned
 Ended: Oct 29, 201016:15:28 PDT
 Bid history: 23 bids
 Winning bid: US $86.55 
 Shipping: FREE shipping Expedited ShippingSee more services See shipping discounts | See all shipping details
Delivery: Estimated between Wed. Nov. 3 and Thu. Nov. 4 
Returns: 7 day money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read return policy details
Seller info
Member id timerestoration ( Feedback Score Of 1902)
100% Positive feedback
Save this seller
See other items from this seller
Other item info
Item number: 170555993097
Item location: Kingston, PA, United States

Here's another GORGEOUS one folks... Up for bid we have a 1940s BULOVA "PRINCETON" Mens Wristwatch!!

The Nautical look 14K rose gold filled Deco BULOVA case measures 29 X 33 mm lug to lug!!
This beauty has a matching rose winding crown!!    
The Original BULOVA copper patinated dial looks great with blued steel hands, and a sub seconds dial at the six!! AND, it is topped off with a new old stock crystal!!
The band is a brand new Genuine Leather stitched strap in supple dark chocolate brown that sets off the beauty of this BULOVA Perfectly!!
The 21 jewel BULOVA 10AK U.S.A. manual wind movement has been cleaned and lubricated. It winds and sets smoothly and is running strong!!
FifthAvenueRes…
Posted August 14, 2011 - 7:30am

Wayne,

Perhaps You could post the info above to the Watch in question, here: http://www.mybulova.com/watches/1943-princeton-765

I'd be interested to know where timerestorations came up with the ID, is there an ad We do not have?

as a rule of thumb I tend not to believe anything on the internet, particularly eBay unless I fully research the information first.

kerrybee
Posted September 13, 2011 - 8:37pm

Update on my Bulova:  Still unknown model name, but I found one on a now-closed e-Bay auction and it is auction #180718879428.  The face is like mine, and the case shape is also. Lugs same shape.   Also 14K solid rose gold.  Now I feel more certain that we have a genuine Bulova.  I do wish that the seller had been able to give info. on the numbers inside. 

I'm still web-searching.  My jeweler, whose specialty is watch and clock repair, couldn't find one exactly like mine either, in his watch catalogue.   

But if there's two of them existing, maybe there's more and I won't give up the search.  I keep checking in here, and keep doing web searches, including auction and charity auction sites. 

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted September 14, 2011 - 5:51am

Here is kerrybees' Watch

mybulova_admin
Posted September 14, 2011 - 7:40am

Kerrybee, it would be most helpful to the members of this site if you were to post a photo of your watch, both instide and out.

OldTicker
Posted September 14, 2011 - 8:42am

It sure doesn't look like the "Princeton" that is featured in the database ad's, Pictures of the watch and movement would really help here...

kerrybee
Posted September 14, 2011 - 9:11pm

yes, I agree.  It was my lack of knowledge that lead me to Princeton, based on a picture.  Interesting side note:  my late father-in-law, from whom I inherited the watch, said it was a 1943.  That's in spite of the fact that movement numbers say 1944.  And the engraving on the back, with the date 12-25-44.  Thanks to all who are helping. 

kerrybee
Posted October 14, 2011 - 9:24pm

Still not able to post a pic - sorry  BUT

at least I'm not going crazy - yes, there is a third one like mine - a recent ebay sale number 150672162190. So if there are three of them, maybe 4?  I don't find many ads for watches 1944 Bulova. 

I contacted the ebay seller and he had no other info than what posted in his listing - My FIL got his watch in Newport, Oregon, USA.  In 1944.  I am going to have to find someone who has a camera and knows how to take pics, because my watch case is stamped Bulova and 14k, etc, and the other info seems to match what this site offers for accuracy in dating. 

Nice site.  The Art Deco ladies watches - - yes, I am a girl person.  But I wore my FIL's watch back a couple of years ago.  Old eyes need a nice larger style watch.  BIG numbers help too.  LOL.

Wayne Hanley
Posted October 15, 2011 - 5:38am

This watch has the 1943 Princeton dial with a solid gold case.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted October 15, 2011 - 7:00am

BS Wayne,

a 1943 'PRINCETON' has never been identified.

* 1946 is the first Year We see the 'PRINCETON' advertised and the Dial is quite different.

Wayne Hanley
Posted October 15, 2011 - 1:27pm

Pretty cool dial doncha think! Don't believe I have ever seen an Alerton either!

Have a Great myBulova day!