1951 Bulova Berkshire 10BM 17 Jewel

Submitted by bargainstotreasures on January 28, 2012 - 9:56pm

First I would like to say that myBulova is a great resource for anything and everything Bulova.

My question is regarding the Berkshire Model.  When I sell my watches, I like to put as much info regarding the model as I can in the ad.  I recently acquired a running 1951 (L1) 10 BM 17j Berkshire, with a round case number of 4903162 and was able to identify it from the information posted on this site.  I believe Bob Bruno and others really did a lot of legwork on this model.  Does anyone know how rare the Berkshire is and has their ever been any conclusive info regarding a connection to Frank Lloyd Wright, as was speculated in many discussions?  Incredible profile.  Someone described these lugs as spider lugs and with the raised numerals, it looks like it's in motion and getting ready to crawl off the page.  Absolutely a work of art.  Thank you for your help.

NOVA
Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:02pm

Oh, no, not the Frank Lloyd Wright connection again!   If you read all those posts--over multiple threads--then you no doubt realize that the FLW theory was highly controversial and never proved.

It's a great watch--can't we just leave it at that?

As for whether or not they are "rare", that's difficult to quantify.  They come up for sale every now and then but not as often as some.

OldTicker
Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:05pm

The Frank Lloyd Wright connection to the design for this watch was never proven, only a Theory and made for a lot of speculation. These are not as common as some of the other watches out there, but they do come up time to time, as do the ladies version. The Black dial version "Air King" is the one that is seldom seen.

Geoff Baker
Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:06pm

bargains - with seven in the data base and a couple for sale around the internet at any given time, I'd hardly say it's rare. In fact I contend that there are precious few 'rare' Bulova watch. To the best of my recollection, there has never been any direct connect to Frank Lloyd Wright. I would say, however, that a wave of jubilation swept around the world when the watch was finally and positively identified!

OldTicker
Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:07pm

Damm Lisa, I should have taken typing more seriously in skool!! : )

Geoff Baker
Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:07pm

my, my, busy place here tonight!! Hi Greg, Hi Lisa!

NOVA
Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:15pm

In reply to by OldTicker

Hi, Guys. Back from a ridiculously fattening and expensive dinner.  Should have taken a cab straight to the nearest fat farm, but, instead, I'm here talking about watches, as usual.

bargainstotreasures
Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:28pm

Thank you all.  FLW makes for great discussion, but ultimately leads nowhere.   

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted January 29, 2012 - 7:15am

Yet.

The raised numerals on these Cases are actually Silver.

'the Berkshire's are calling'....

mybulova_admin
Posted January 30, 2012 - 4:46am

In reply to by FifthAvenueRes…

...what the....who the....how the.....silver.....where did that come from?

:-) Looking forward to hearing more about 'silver' content in these numbers.

GVP
Posted January 30, 2012 - 8:43am

I had thought that too Fifth as i think we had discussed before. Certainly tarnish like Silver