1957 Wrist alarm

Submitted by firebaron90 on October 10, 2011 - 4:30pm

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, but I own several Bulovas. I just bought a watch online, and it is in the process of being delivered. I have a concern about it, and wanted to ask those who know more about watches.

I bought the watch cheap enough to take a chance. I did some research on this forum, and found a picture of a watch that closely resembles the one I purchased. So I belive it is a 1957 Bulova Wrist alarm. The thing that makes me a bit worried, is it has an exhibition back, or so it was decribed on the auction site. Did these have the option of a clear back? Any info would be appreciated.

Joe

vintagebulova.com
Posted October 10, 2011 - 4:57pm

There was no option for a clear or exhibition back on that watch.  The backs for the alarm watch were kind of special and for some reason there seem to be a lot of them missing the back.  Still a neat watch.

Jay

vintagebulova.com

firebaron90
Posted October 10, 2011 - 5:15pm

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the quick reply. As soon as it come in, I will let you know if it is the case, or lack there of. I hope it will not be hard to find a back if necessary. Which crown sets the arm hand, and which the time? There are crowns at the 2 and 4 oclock position. It looks just like this watch, but the face is not as nice.

http://www.sammleruhrenportal.com/index.php?uhrid=277

I found link in the archives

vintagebulova.com
Posted October 10, 2011 - 5:43pm

The top crown sets the time and winds the watch.  The bottom is for setting the alarm.  You pull it out to turn the alarm on. 

Jay

vintagebulova.com

firebaron90
Posted October 11, 2011 - 4:25pm

Hey Jay,

The watch has come in, and it is in nice shape. The crowns pull well. I wound it and it was a little hard to turn, so I did not wind it much. Runs and works, but does need a good cleaning and oiling. Thanks for the alarm info. You have to leave the crown off for the alarm to work?

Oh, and it does have an exhibition clear back. The back looks original, but I am not an expert. Any thoughts.

vintagebulova.com
Posted October 11, 2011 - 5:38pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "leave the crown off for the alarm to work".  You have to leave it pulled out.  Just like setting position on the other crown.  I'd love to see a clear photo of the back of this watch. 

Jay

vintagebulova.com

simpletreasures
Posted October 11, 2011 - 5:46pm

I'm with youi Jay, I'd like to see ANY pics of this watch.

firebaron90
Posted October 12, 2011 - 10:12am

Hey guys,

Will get you pictures soon. From the link I posted above, it looks like the back is two piece, and prys off. Mine looks the same but the center section is clear plastic. Was thinking it was possibly made by someone, or possibly this watch was a sales display piece? The back and  rear plastic crystal  shows about the same age as the rest of the watch.

Joe

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted October 12, 2011 - 11:02am

I saw it and stayed away due to the Caseback, there's (was) a second with the same clear back but not a 'WRIST ALARM'

firebaron90
Posted October 12, 2011 - 11:28am

Fifth avenue, I too was worried about that, but for what I paid for it, it was a decent gamble. Plus I am a sucker for exhibition backs, especially vintage stuff. My first thought was that this watch is some kind of hong kong copy that they made with a clear back to lure in a prospective buyer looking for a rare item. Are there people making vintage bulova fakes out there? If so, For a movement that looks like it needs a good cleaning, it runs damn well. I did eventally wind it up last night against better judgement, and when i woke up this morning, it is spot on and still running. That is why I am on this forum. I want to know if it is real, rare, etc, but if it is a fake, then at least it may help others out by exposing it. I have several bulovas, and i already found some good information out about my Accutron 218D, so the forum is a great resource.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted October 12, 2011 - 11:42am

.....the very BEST resource when it comes to Vintage Bulova Watches.

firebaron90
Posted October 12, 2011 - 11:00pm