1959 23 J Bulova Calendar 10BPAD

Submitted by jamesdudman on August 2, 2015 - 7:21pm

I resently ran accross this model and am thinking about buying it however it is the first one I have seen.

So my question is how collectable is it and how rare is it.

Thanks for the help.

James

jamesdudman
Posted August 2, 2015 - 8:06pm

Thanks William

Do we have any idea how many were made and how rare is this model.

Thanks James

William Smith
Posted August 2, 2015 - 8:13pm

I've seen many of them over the years.  They are not uncommon, but they beautiful, with a cool complication.

It looks like "Bulova 23 Calendar" is a model name which eventually has variants.  

A few snippets from the price lists.  All the "variants" are bracketed by "  " in model names.  While the eariler two lists don't show any variants for the Bulova 23 Calendar models, they do suggest that full name is the model, not the model and variant.  There's only one listed in the 1955 price list.

By the 1961 price list, we see two listed.  No "variant" designation yet, and the price is the same for both, but we notice two unique Bulova model numbers for the two Bulova 23 Calendar models.

In 1964 price list cumulative section, we see several Bulova 23 Calendars, now with "variant" letters.

Hope this helps with your question.

William Smith
Posted August 2, 2015 - 8:23pm

I thought I'd check our movement database. This may suggest timeframe when this caliber / complication was produced.  No entry for the 10BPAD
Doc has it listed here.  He doesn't give a start or end date for production.

jamesdudman
Posted August 2, 2015 - 8:46pm

Once again Thank you for the help.

James

William Smith
Posted August 2, 2015 - 9:32pm

In reply to by jamesdudman

Your more than welcome, and regardless of rarity, this model is beautiful and worthy of anyones collection!