1963 Bulova

Submitted by egan on November 13, 2017 - 5:43pm

I was wondering , as a new Bulova collector, if anyone knows how to open up this watch.

It seems like the body is 1 piece and the only way i can see to open her up, is to remove the crystal.

Before i attempt to remove the glass, i would like to have a little feedback from someone who knows.

Thanks,

Egan.

P.S...can someone explain how to download pics onto this site, please

Geoff Baker
Posted November 16, 2017 - 6:17am

I added the photos egan sent, I'm pretty sure one of our watchmaker members can explain the correct procedure to open the watch case and remove the movement.

egan
Posted November 16, 2017 - 11:09am

In reply to by Geoff Baker

Thanks a lot
I really appreciate the help.
I just need a little advice before I start opening her up.

Reverend Rob
Posted November 16, 2017 - 10:33am

This looks to be a front loader. If so, you remove the split stem by pulling on it, and then the crystal with a crystal lift. Some of them had a retention ring around the crystal, if the crystal is an armée type.

If you have never done this before, I strongly recommend a visit to local watchmaker. From the pictures it appears to be a common water-tite style Bulova, but it is critical to correctly identify the design. Pulling on a non-split stem can damage the keyless works and the stem. 

egan
Posted November 16, 2017 - 11:12am

In reply to by Reverend Rob

Thanks for the quick reply, Bob.
I have never had a front loader before and the watch works beautifully, so I won't open her up, myself.
I was just curious as to the type of casing