Bulova D022809

Submitted by AKFlurry on March 16, 2011 - 1:01am

I found a manual wind 14K gold plated ladies watch in my grandmothers box that began ticking immediately.  The face cover is missing.  Where can I send this for repair?  How old is this?

OldTicker
Posted March 16, 2011 - 1:37am

If you can post a picture of it and date it (see home page on how to date your watch) There are many members here that can help you.

There are also many members that can repair it, but more info is needed.

Greg

AKFlurry
Posted March 16, 2011 - 10:27am

Old Bulova D022809.  Information?

shooter144
Posted March 16, 2011 - 11:19am

Just needs a crystal, email [email protected], he may be able to get one to ya...

shooter144
Posted March 16, 2011 - 11:33am

In reply to by shooter144

As far as date goes look on the back there may be a date code, letter and number, that you can match up at the top of the page- information then Bulova date codes...if no code then you would have to open the case and find the code on the watch movement and match it up the same way with the symbol chart found in the same place. Or you can browse the vintage ads for your watch ( found at top of page as well) It may or may not be there.

To open the case look at the back, and one end or the other will have a small tab (near the band) that you must pry under carefully with a dull pen knife placed accrossed the lugs ( place band attaches) and undr the tab. With the blade under the tab carefully give it a twist (like the knife was a screwdriver) CAUTION IS NEEDED its easy to scratch the case and easy to slice yourself as well.

You will then see the watches movement inside. Somewhere stamped into the side of the movement you can now see, will be a date code symbol (look at the charts) a triangle, square or something else. Magnification will likely be needed or you can brace a digital camera and snap a pic and then zoom in to find the code (pic is usually easiest for me)

Thats all there is to it. The case back just snaps back in...

AKFlurry
Posted March 16, 2011 - 12:45pm

Ok, took a deep breath and popped the back off.  There is an X symbol which I take to mean 1933, 21 Jewels and either 6AK or 8AK (really hard to tell the 6 from the 8).  I still can't tell the name of the watch or how to describe it.  DARN....any suggestions?

plainsmen
Posted March 16, 2011 - 12:54pm

Now that we know the date... take a look at the INFORMATION --> ADS section for 1932-34 or abouts.

Look for the women's watches and you might be able to find what your looking for.  I'll start looking when I can.

OldTicker
Posted March 16, 2011 - 7:05pm

21J and X date code is probably 1943 rather than 1933, most ladies watches were 7-17J up until the early 40's when Bulova came out with the "Her Excellency" with 21J movements.

1942-1945 ad's may have something like it.

Do you have a digital calipers to measure the crystal opening?

AKFlurry
Posted March 16, 2011 - 7:28pm

No, I don't have digital calipers but I can ask hubby if he does or take it to a jeweler.  Thanks.