Bulova spinnaker 1972

Submitted by ben300 on November 25, 2017 - 6:40am

Hi all, having just had the crown refitted to my watch after it popped out and stored for a few years l find l have forgotten how to set the date without damaging the mechanism. It has a day / date combination and l can, by trial, change the date by winding and rewinding the day setting between 10 and 2 to get the date to change over but it doesn't seem to engage properly. The option of pulling the crown out to a third setting doesn't seem to be there and l am reluctant to pull it out with any force. So apart from waiting for the correct date and adjusting the day accordingly can anyone confirm the correct setting technique ?.  By the by, l took it in for a service as well but the watchmaker said the mechanism is in fine condition and doesn't require one. A little fettle on the balance and it is good to go again. Not bad after 40 odd years untouched ! 

Reverend Rob
Posted November 25, 2017 - 11:36am

Hey Ben,

The service interval for mechanical watches is 4-6 years, so a span of 40 would mean that the watch will be at the very least, completely dried out, and quite likely dirty as well. The watch can and will be damaged by winding or everyday wearing, so I strongly recommend getting a full CTR done. Mechanical wristwatches require regular maintenance because the oils will dry up and leave a residue. Before I went to watchmaking school, I destroyed an NOS dive watch in three months by winding and wearing every day. Even if the movt does not appear dirty, at the microscopic level, it will be.

As far as the setting goes, this model may or may not have had the quickset date function. The 11AOACB does have it, but other movts in the same range do not. If there does not appear to be the third setting position, these can usually be set by allowing the full date to change, and then advancing the hands 24 hours and whichever changes first (Day or date) is the one to set second. So you set the one that flips last, and then go back and only allow the first one to change, then back it off to the correct time. That is, advance to midnight til the first indicator changes, then reverse the time to the correct time of day.

Alternatively I would recommend taking it to a watchmaker to ascertain whic movt it is.

These are getting rare, so well worth any effort to preserve them, IMO.

Geoff Baker
Posted November 26, 2017 - 8:28am

Totally agree with the Reverend on service. Make no mistake that it does not take much to harm one of these marvelous little mechanisms but with proper service they will last generations!

Regarding the day/date setting:

Every time the hour hand crosses midnight (or thereabout) both will advance. Move the hour past 2AM and then rewind to just before 8 PM, the date will not roll back but the day of the week will. Moving past midnight again will advance the date but rolling backward will move the day back again. Doing this repeatedly allows the date to be advanced without changing the day of week. My practice to to move the day and date to yesterdays day and date and then manually move the hour around one twenty four hour period to move it to todays date. Remember to move it a twelve hour cycle if setting he correct time to a PM setting.

Depending on where you live we might be able to recommend a qualified professional watchmaker.

Best of luck Ben, 

Reverend Rob
Posted November 26, 2017 - 11:32am

Geoff has explained this much better than I have!

Geoff Baker
Posted November 26, 2017 - 9:06pm

In reply to by Reverend Rob

Thank you Rob, from you I that that as a supreme compliment. The challenge is explaining something I've done a thousand times in a manner that someone who may never have done it can understand easily. I appreciate that you think I succeeded.

ben300
Posted November 26, 2017 - 4:45pm

Guys, thank you for the comprehensive advice. I may have been slightly tongue in cheek about the service not being required after so many years, l did buy if from a reputable dealer some years back,  but the longevity of the mechanism was the pleasing factor having been prepared to pay the service fee (of £250)  for the expected wear and tear.  Given the original strap has little wear itself after so long suggests it has had an easy life.  It will now go on the rotation list along with my Accutron. Thank you again !