Quartz Movement in 1967 14kt Gold Accutron

Submitted by JimDon5822 on July 21, 2019 - 1:10pm

I picked up a 1967 M7 Bulova Accutron at a Garage Sale this weekend.  I took it home and found that it had a quartz movement.  It looks like it has a gold cover to it.  Anyone seen this movement and know what model it is?  I assume it is a replacement but I could not find this movement info.  BTW...I am getting a pulse with a 392 battery but the watch does not advance.  I am ordering a 384 to see if it makes a difference.  

Reverend Rob
Posted July 21, 2019 - 9:07pm

This may be all original.

It is an early quartz movement, the reference should be 2453.10.

If it fires but does not advance, that usually means the motion works or gear train is sticky. There is a machine made by Witschi that 'pushes' the train by spinning the rotor, most watchmakers have one of these.

If this quick fix does not work, the movement would need to be dismantled and serviced like any other movement. PArts are generally not available for this movt, but I did find a bunch (NOS) just searching online.

With modern quartz movts, a watchmaker will usually just replace the movt with a brand new one. In the case of discontinued and obsolete movts, there is sometimes an interchangeable replacement, but AFAIK not for this particular one. 

The equivalent watch cell for the 247 is the 384. 

JimDon5822
Posted July 21, 2019 - 9:39pm

In reply to by Reverend Rob

Thank you.  I have the device and advanced the hands but it still does not work.  I mistook the battery mark of 247 as the movement number.  I thought this might be original set up but I question the 1967 date on the case for a quartz movement.  That seems at least a few years too soon.  

Reverend Rob
Posted July 23, 2019 - 12:43am

The case date may be incorrect, somebody might have replaced the caseback. 

1967 is too early for a quartz. If the case IS from 1967, nd the back is correct, possibly the original Accutron movt quit and was replaced with the quartz. These eary quartzes were quite thick. 

Reverend Rob
Posted July 22, 2019 - 1:15am

I should also say I sometimes let the hands spin for ten minutes straight, but if it still sticks, it's definitely going to need to get serviced completely.

JimDon5822
Posted July 22, 2019 - 11:53am

In reply to by Reverend Rob

[quote=Reverend Rob]

I should also say I sometimes let the hands spin for ten minutes straight, but if it still sticks, it's definitely going to need to get serviced completely.

[/quote]  Well sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.... On a whim I replaced the new battery with another new battery and the watch runs great.   Turns out the "new" battery was not strong enough to run the watch but did light up the tester.   Lesson learned.  Double check batteries.